Me

Me
Looking Business-like

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

My New Year's

I have to say that my New Year's Eve really sucked. I had to deal with some personal issues that day and it pretty much took the afternoon and into the evening. I wasn't going out anyway, but so much for just relaxing. Looking back on it now I guess I should be happy that the crappy day was still in 2012 and not the first day of 2013.

And that leads me to New Year's Day. I was walking through a store in the late morning when a man stepped in front of me and blocked the aisle. It made me angry because he had looked up and saw me coming and so it appeared as if he was blocking me on purpose. I looked at him and he was smiling at me. I'm thinking, what in the world is his problem. I chalked it up to "Austin people" and slipped past him.

Not long after that, I went to eat lunch. I was sitting by myself and this lady, who was at least 80 years old, came up to me and said Happy New Year. I smiled and wished her the same. But then she looked real hard at me and said, God Bless You and then turned and walked out of the restaurant. In that moment, I had to fight the urge to cry. How did she know I needed an encouraging word?

A little later in the afternoon, I saw a man that I probably see almost everyday. We have never spoken before. But today, he walks up to me and just starts a random conversation and we ended talking for about 20 minutes. It wasn't until last night, when I was winding down and thinking upon the days events that it all started to come together for me.

The smiling man, the older lady, the man I see everyday.....they had engaged me with a smile, a good word, a gentle conversation. But how did they know I needed that? I didn't even know I needed it. I must have been carrying around with me the concerns of the day before. Maybe they could sense it. Or maybe.....maybe God tapped them on the shoulder and whispered in their ear. In that moment, they acted on an inner urge to do something good to someone. And not just anyone, but ME!!! All three. In the same day.

To the three people who helped pick me up throughout the day yesterday, I say thank you. To the God who inspired them to do so, I say thank you. I have a couple of prayers regarding this. One, may these three people continue to shine the light of God through their words and actions. Two, may the rest of us learn to do the same. Have a wonderful 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment